The Ulysses S. Grant Memorial is a three-part sculpture group honoring the 18th President of the United States and victorious Civil War Commander of the Union Army. It stands centered on the West front of the U.S. Capitol building facing the National Mall, with its mirror image reflecting in the Capitol Reflecting Pool below.
The memorial celebrates Grant’s military achievements, rising from obscurity to becoming the U.S. Army’s top General. After defeating the Confederate Army, Grant accepted General Robert E. Lee’s surrender at Appomattox Court House in Virginia, ending the Civil War.
Designed by architect Edward Pearce Casey and sculptor Henry Merwin Shrady, the center of the memorial is a 17-foot, bronze statue of the general on horseback calmly reviewing his troops. The general is flanked by two sculpture groups in the state of calamity in battle – Cavalry Charge on the north end and Artillery on the south end.
The memorial was dedicated on April 27, 1922, the centennial of Grant’s birthday. The memorial is maintained by the Architect of the Capitol.