Dumbarton House, located in Georgetown, is a Federal style home built in 1799, just one year before the federal government permanently moved to Washington, DC. The home rose to historic prominence during the War of 1812 when the British invaded the Federal City.
On August 24, 1814, British forces burned almost all of the public buildings in Washington, DC, including the U.S. Capitol and Treasury buildings. Before they reached the White House, Dumbarton House’s owner at the time, Charles Carroll of Bellevue, picked up First Lady Dolley Madison and rushed her away in a carriage to his home, where she remained briefly before continuing on to Virginia to meet her husband, President James Madison.
After passing through a number of owners, the home was purchased in 1928 by its present owner, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America. In 1932, they completed restoration of the home back to its original 19th century style, made the house its national headquarters, and opened it as a historic house museum.
Self-guided and guided tours are available. Check the website for tour times and ticket prices. The house also hosts school programs, public and private events.